12 October 2011

Coffee

Have you ever stopped to think about how much you love coffee? I mean, for everyone that one word means something different. For most people it is a means of a way to start the day off. For others it represents sitting with a good friend and catching up. And then there are those people who pretend to like coffee to look cool (when in reality there is 3/4 creamer in that mug). So, what does coffee mean to me?
1. Coffee often represents a bright spot in my day. There are some mornings where I stumble to the kitchen only to realize that my coffee maker isn't warmed up and it will be another five minutes before it can be injected into my system. It is at this point that I slump to the floor and let out a few pity wails.
2. Coffee means a fall day to celebrate. At this point you're wondering how it represents fall? Well, fall is when Starbucks comes out with their pumpkin spice latte. I have grown to enjoy coffee black but there are some mornings when a good latte is just plain needed. Plus a sip of that whipped cream on top is always enough to make me curl my mouth into a lopsided smile.
3. I'm not sure if it was Kansas or the lack of activities, but coffee used to mean a good conversation. As I have grown older, many other things have replaced cup of coffee but it is always to fall back on like a great friend. And when I go Kansas, meeting up with friends at a coffeeshop is a nice break from the East Coast.
4. Then there are days such as the last few weeks where coffee represents a straight up IV for me. Busy season is amongst all of us Governmental auditors as their busy season ends 9/30. Yesterday I worked 10.5 hours without a lunch break and had about three coffee breaks. A can of soda just does not give my body the same boast.
5. Last night Farah and I went to the Cheesecake Factory to enjoy some orange chicken and pumpkin spice cheesecake. For those of you who live in Kansas....hahahaahahaha, I have one less than 10 minutes from my apartment (call it perks of living in DC). We enjoyed our cheesecake slices with a cup of coffee. After a couple of sips, we realized that we get coffee for dessert almost everytime we go out somewhere. And after that realization came the one where we realized that we are turning into old people. Rushing around like crazy fools, dinner comes for us at 9:00 most evenings, if that early. Yes, I do love it because it keeps me busy. My social life stems around my co-workers currently and considering that we are all working together and at the same crazy hours, life isn't too dull right now.
As always, I will end this post with the urging of you all to come visit me. Especially with fall arriving, it is quite beautiful here. And I attend random festivals every weekend. I would love some company for one of those festivals :)
Loves.
P.S. Go buy yourself a pumpkin spice latte right now because let's face it, every since I brought it up you've been craving one.

1 comment:

  1. I had a pumpkin spice frappuccino this morning... and it was awesome. Maybe I will get one tomorrow just to think of you while I drink it :) Any excuse, really.

    It really is funny how coffee represents different things to different people. I am one of those fake coffee drinkers whose drink is 3/4 creamer. But really I just like to go to the coffee shop to catch up with friends. I think I will still be that way in 30 years when I get my 3/4 sugar 1/4 coffee drink and you sit there and get your black coffee and your dessert. Then we both make fun of you for being old. Oh wait, that's what we do already. Yeah, you and Farah are right. You are definitely old.

    ReplyDelete