17 August 2011

Foodies.

This week has been all about exploring the food in DC. It would happen that my first week at the job site fall during DC’s restaurant week. Yay! Therefore I had Mexican last night at Uncle Julios which was delicious! Many of the Mexican restaurants around here are not like ones from Kansas. They include a splash of Spanish/Cuban in with their Mexican food here. Tex-Mex is a thing of the past I’m afraid. Thus, if you live in Kansas, be prepared to eat a lot of Mexican food when I come home. Tonight, Farah is taking me to her favorite restaurant in DC, The Capital Grille. It is supposedly the best steakhouse in all of DC…we’ll see about that. But for a three course dinner, they have specialized menus for $35.11 when a regular dinner runs over $50.

Speaking of food, today Erin and I explored the food truck madness. Most of you reading this do not live in a large enough area to understand this world of Food Trucks but I shall attempt to explain. There is a website called Food Truck Fiesta that displays a google map of where all the food trucks are. These are literally beside the street vendors. Today’s trucks included: crab, cheese, empanadas, pie, cheesecake, kabobs, sauca, and etc. After walking around and drooling at all the menus, we went with a grilled cheese from the cheese truck and two different empanadas due to those trucks not being in our area very often. When all was said and done, we waited in line for around 30 minutes. Thus, food truck food is in high demand amongst DC’s working population. As a side note, it was amazinggggggggggg. And now I feel like a genuine DCer as I have conquered the food trucks.

As for my actual job, while I cannot go into any specific details, I enjoy the place and people that I am working with! I had dinner with my mentors last night and they are going to try and hook me up with some of the other new hires so hopefully I will meet them all soon. Mallory informed me last night that she got a townhouse Arlington which is awesome news because that means I’ll have a friend from school living right by me!

As today is hump day, my thoughts have started going towards what I am going to do this weekend already. On Saturday is the Crab and Beer Festival at the National Harbor which draws in ridiculous amounts of people and then on Sunday, I am going to a concert with Devon for her birthday. It’s a new experience to live in a place with so many things to do every day! I also realized that I have off September 5th due to it being Labor Day! Yay for three day weekends!! Pretty sure I’ll probably stay in Arlington though due to traffic being a pain in my butt!

Mucho Gracias to you all for your support these past few weeks!!

Love, Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment