29 April 2011

The End is Near

And so begins the countdown of being in school for the last time. I have taken two finals and have my hardest one on Monday. With that being said...YIPPPPPPEEEEE! To think that I am putting an end to this chapter of my life makes me incredibly happy. And to introduce myself as a recent graduate student is slightly alarming. I'm not smart or know enough to have the Masters title!?

I am going to Washington DC tomorrow to sign on an apartment as well putting an end to my searches! I have found a roommate on craigslist from Iowa and am looking forward to having a new friend in DC with me. We have decided to live at The Park at Arlington Ridge. Their website doesn't give the greatest description but at least its not the bottom of the totem pole. And their rating on apartmentratings.com is 73% which is unheard of in DC!

My student loans are overwhelming me currently as I am going to default and have to declare bankruptcy. There is something wrong with the fact that I went to college, got my Masters, two Bachelor degrees, have a high paying job right out of school and I still cannot afford to live in the United States. Maybe I'll move to some island off of Spain so the US Government cannot find me. You think I joke....that's the funny part.

It stormed here two nights ago and I almost died. For those of you who think I'm being melodramatic, over 300 people did die, I'm not being dramatic. There was two inch hail as well as tornados touching down all over the Shenandoah County. It was a different type of storm than the one that Kansas usually gets but still had the same result, destruction.

I begin the journey to Kansas Monday after my last final. I'm driving the Alero back to it's homestead which should be interesting as I'll be in a car by myself for 20 hours. I might go stir crazy. Then its a whirlwind of graduations, seeing family, and surviving tornado season in May for two weeks until I fly back to VA. When I arrive in VA, I start the Becker boot camp for CPAs on Monday for the following six weeks. Its an intense six weeks filled with 4 hours of class followed by around 4 hours of homework. For over $3,000, one can only hope I'll learn something positive in this class.

I wish I could write something witty and sound like my usually optimistic self but I don't have the effort. The fact that I am supposed to find $950 a month to pay for my school loans weighs heavily on me. The days of being able to eat food, smile, or have a social life are behind me. Hello 70 hour work weeks with no social life due to not being able to afford to pay $1.50 for a Metro ride. I know that many of you are saying, just move somewhere cheaper. Ha, I spit in your face and laugh. If you can find somewhere cheap for me to live in DC...more power to you. I will be impressed even more if it is within 10 miles of my work. And those 10 miles translate to 1 1/2 hours in traffic one way, so I can't afford to go any further out. And for those of you who are saying, this is why you move home or somewhere cheaper to live in the country: then I wouldn't be making the high salary I am and I would be in even worse condition. In the current town I live in, the starting salary for one of my coworkers was $15,000 less than mine...not going to work for those student loans.

Thus, this is slightly depressed Ashley signing off you to all. I have to go stare at my budget once again and attempt to figure out where I can trim off extra fat that I haven't already trimmed off.

No comments:

Post a Comment